FMQ Spiderweb Quilting

FMQ Spiderweb Quilting



Halloween is right around the corner and I've been working on some spooky sewing projects! After finishing my Halloween themed Dizzy Dazzle Quilt (pattern available in my shop), I decide to use my leftover QST blocks to create some pillows for the couch. 

As someone who is still getting the hang of free motion quilting, I like to use smaller projects like pillows as a way to test out some new designs and practice my skills! What a great opportunity to try some spooky spiderweb quilting to really round out the Halloween theme. 


Prep for quilting

First things first, you'll need to get everything ready for quilting. This means piecing your top (in this case, pillow top) and basting it to some batting and backing. I spray basted mine since they were small and it's easier to do the FMQ without working around pins. You'll also need to set up your machine, attaching your darning or free motion foot, turning your stitch length to zero and lowering feed dogs if your machine has that ability. I also like to use grippy gloves for quilting to help me move the quilt around as I work. Here's the pillow top that I'm working with!


Plan your quilting!

I've created a diagram for you to follow so you get the hang of how to move your hands in order to create the design. I'd recommend practicing drawing the design several times first with a pen on paper to get the feel for it before you begin sewing. You'll notice this creates a 6 pointed web with 6 interior sections. My webs are about 3" in diameter, but you can dictate the size of the web you want by starting with a larger or smaller hourglass shape in step one. 

QUILTING DIAGRAM:

Step 1: Begin at the upper left corner of your web. Trail in from the edge of the quilt to get started. Make an hourglass shape with a curved top and bottom section following the arrows in the diagram. You'll end at the same place you started.

Step 2: Once your hourglass is complete, make the remaining two top sections. From the top corner, make a downward curve, travel horizontally across to the other side, then curve up to the other point.

Step 3: Now create your bottom two sections. Trail diagonally down to the opposite corner of the web. Curve up, travel horizontally across to the other side, then curve down. Your main 6 sections of the web are complete. 

Step 4: Now it's time to complete your interior sections of the web. From the lower right corner, trail in a few stitches and work clockwise around the interior of the web, making curved sections and meeting up with the crossbeams of the web between sections. End on the same point you began.

Step 5: Repeat step 4 for the interior most section, trailing in from the corner a few stitches, then working clockwise around the interior of the web. When you're done, trail back out and move on to the next web!

Keep on Quilting!

Repeat your webs until you've covered the entire area of your quilt. My pillows ended up with 8-9 webs each. You can trail between webs and fill-in with extra stitching as needed. Rotate your project as you work to make things easier. Here's some finished images of my webs. They're easier to see from the backside, but overall really fun to make and fairly easy!

You can watch how I quilt on Youtube. Or watch the video below 





I also have a quick video tutorial on my IGTV- Spiderweb Quilting Tutorial so you can see how I move my hands as I work! 



This was such a fun project to try and I think it turned out pretty great! I hope you'll give this technique a try and make some fun Halloween projects of your own!

Happy Sewing!

- Erin



Comments