Scrappy Log Cabin Pillows

Scrappy Log Cabin Pillows

Today on the blog, I'm showing you how to turn your log cabin blocks into fun pillows! I'll share a video on quilting a free motion loop de loop design, and another video where we take those quilted blocks and turn them into zippered pillow covers. Plus there's a step by step photo tutorial to make the pillow covers. So let's get started!

     

For this tutorial, I'm making covers for 18" pillow forms. I like my pillows to fit nice and snug inside the cover, so I'm going to end up with 17" covers to achieve that snug fit. My blocks are 18", so when I sew the pillow cover together using a 1/2" seam allowance, I'll end up with 17" covers. They'll be the perfect fit! 

You can adjust this technique to any size pillow you'd like. Start with the size pillow you want to cover. For a looser fit, you can add 1" to the total height and width. For a snug fit,  measure your cover to be the same size as the pillow so that it ends up 1" smaller on all sides.

Sewing scrappy log cabin blocks

In the last blog post, I showed you how to create scrappy log cabin blocks from scrap strips of fabric. I used that technique to make a super fun quilt, and also decided to make some pillows for my couch. 

Here is the link to sew scrappy log cabin style blocks. When finished, they looked like this!



Quilting the blocks

So now that our blocks are complete, I trimmed them to 18" square and am ready to quilt. I chose to spray baste these blocks onto some scraps of batting and found a scrap backing piece to complete the quilt sandwich. If you prefer another method of basting, that's fine too! The backing for these will ultimately be the inside of my pillow, so it doesn't really matter what fabric you choose, I used an old white bed sheet. I reccomend leaving extra couple inches of batting and backing around the edges, so you have room to start and stop as you work across the block. You'll trim off all those edges once quilting is done.


    

I used my Juki to free motion quilt these pillow blocks with a fun loop de loop design. I like this design for these types of blocks for a few reasons. Firstly, it's fun and a little wonky just like these blocks. Second, when we sew with strip scraps, they're often times not very straight. Our strips can get stretched, plus we didn't try to be consistent with our widths, so quitlting straight lines would just accntuate the imperfections. With the loop de loops, your eye sees texture, color, and pattern rather than wonky strips!


In the video, I'm sewing on my Juki TL2020Q machine. I am using my free motion foot, or darning foot, and have my stitch length set at 0 as you normally would for free motion quilting (fmq). I keep my feed dogs up, but you could put yours down if it's easier for you- I don't tend to notice much of a difference either way! Quilting gloves are also a must with this process, and I like to use cheap ones from the hardware store gardening section like these

Now let it be said, I'm definitely not an fmq master. In fact, I've only done fmq on a handful of projects and although practice makes perfect, I don't mind if the quilting is imperfect! It adds to the spunk of the scrappy pillows. The biggest trick is to take it slow and find a rhythm. Practicing on a scrap quilt sandwich is always a good option too. 

Once quilted, trim off the excess backing and batting, making sure to square up your blocks back to their original dimensions. Here's all 4 blocks, quilted with the loop de loop design!

Sewing the pillows

So now that our blocks are all quilted and trimmed to 18" square, It's time to build the pillow! I have a video tutorial to take you through this process step by step, and I'll include written directions with images below!

Video tutorial

If you're a video person, then start here! This will take you through the same steps as below.



Step by step tutorial

Here's the breakdown of what you need to do in order to turn your quilted blocks into a zippered pillow cover. Also, don't be afraid of the zipper if you've never done this before, It's super easy and I don't even us a zipper foot!!

So the first step will be to add the tabs to the end of your zipper. I like to add 1" fabric tabs to the ends of my zipper to reduce bulk when we sew the two sides of the pillow together. Plus it makes for really nice square corners at the end! So for my 18" pillow, I'll end up with 16" of zipper showing, and 1" tabs of fabric on both ends.

I'm starting with a 20" zipper because that's what I have, but an 18" zipper will work too. You'll need two scraps of fabric for the tabs measuring 1" wide (width of zipper) and at least 2" long. I usually cut mine longer than I need just in case. You can always cut off the excess later. 



Lay the first tab right sides together with the end of the zipper pull so the fabric edge lines up at the end of the metal zipper stopper. Sew using a 1/4" seam across that tab. When sewing across the plastic zipper, go slowly and sew back and forth across it a few times so it's nice and secure.  Snip the excess zipper and metal stopper off where it extends past the fabric. Fold the fabric over and cut to 1" length. 

Unzip the zipper halfway down. Then measure down 16.25" from the seam you just sewed. Lay the other piece of fabric at that marker and sew on that line. When you fold it back, you'll have exactly 16" between the two seams. Cut the extra zipper off on the second side and trim the fabric to 1". Your total zipper length should be 18" end to end with the fabric tabs included. 


    

Now that your zipper is ready to go, we'll attach it to the first half of your pillow. Because these will be reversible, it doesn't really matter which one is the front and which is the back at this stage! Grab a quilted pillow piece and lay it right sides up. Then take your zipper and align it along the bottom edge, matching the zipper right sides together with the fabric. Your zipper pull should still be about halfway down. 


Sew down the outside edge of the zipper. I choose to sew 1/4" seam so some of my zipper tape will show through for an added pop of color. For this I also use my regular sewing foot. You could choose instead to use a zipper foot so less of the zipper tape is visible. 

Backstitch at the beginning and end. As you sew, you'll get about halfway down and run into your zipper pull. With your needle in the down position, lift your presser foot and slide that zipper pull up past the needle. Once you're in the clear, put your presser foot down and keep sewing!


Now that your seam is sewn, fold your zipper down. Tuck the seam allowance towards the pillow and topstitch right along the edge of the bottom of the pillow (next to the zipper) to keep that seam allowance in place. This will prevent threads from getting caught in the zipper in the future. 


This is what the back of the pillow should look like with the zipper and seam stitched up towards the pillow side.


Next you'll add the second side of the pillow right sides together with the zipper. I like to flip my pillow so that the zipper is facing up when I run it through the machine. You'll again stitch along the zipper tape with a 1/4" seam (or with your zipper foot). Once you've attached the zipper, fold the pillow open and top stitch along the edge, catching that seam so the edge away from the zipper tape. 



Once you've topstitched the second side of the pillow, it's time to sew the two sides together and finish this thing up! 

BUT FIRST! UNZIP YOUR ZIPPER HALFWAY!!! If you don't do this, you won't be able to reach in and flip your pillow right side out. 


Phew! That was a close one. But now that you've unzipped your zipper, it's time to sew the sides together. Fold your pillow halves so they're right sides together (keep that zipper hole open at the bottom!) Stitch 1/2" seam allowance around all 3 sides of the pillow. When you stitch, start at the bottom end where your fabric tab is. Fold that tab so it's aiming out, away from the pillow halves. Then backstitch to start and sew to the top. With your needle down, pivot 1/2" away from the top, sew across the top, pivot again, and finish that last side. 

Use scissors to clip the 4 corners to reduce bulk when you right-side-out your pillow. Don't clip too close to your stitches though, we don't want them to come undone!


Now that you've clipped your corners, it's time for the big reveal. Are you ready?! Start by unzipping the zipper the rest of the way. Then stick a hand inside, grab, and pull the pillow right side out! Use your fingers or a dull object to poke out the corners of the pillow. Make sure to pop out those bottom corners in particular!

 


And you're done! Admire your lovely work! Make sure to wash this pillow cover before using it to get out the spray baste that we used to quilt it. And once that's done, your favorite new reversible pillow cover can now be added to your favorite pillow insert and zipped right up!




The finished pillows!

Didn't these turn out so darn cute? I love the scrappy, colorful, wonky, wonderful goodness of these pillow covers. And they're reversible and they easily unzip for a quick wash, it's a win-win! 


    

    


I hope you're inspired to create some fun scrappy projects of your own. 

Happy sewing!

- Erin

Comments